Though not a much experienced mom am just listing out our journey of reading.This is my first blog post on montessori activities.
Through the past few months of learning with Athilan, I introduced Montessori method of learning and he loves them too. Primary idea behind Montessori is to ” help me do it myself” and to encourage the kid to learn by doing. These little minds are so much capable than we think about them. Identify the interest of the child before planning for an activity and go ahead with the child’s cues and interest.
His recent interest is on animals. Here is set of activities for a week that Athilan(25months old) has worked at.
1. PEGGED BOARD– A simple fine motor skill activity to arrange the animals respectively
2. ANIMAL CARDS – Count the animals and clip them based on their count.We personally designed them with the animals he like most. #math #finemotorskills
3. COLOUR TRACK -A simple toy which has the animals parts in the glass pieces. Arranging them to bring out the shape involves too much fun learning.. #visualdiscrimination
4. ACTION CARDS-A gross motor skills activity.. Do the actions according to the animal action cards.
5. I SPY: Finding the hidden animal in the kinetic sand using the brush. #finemotorskills #ispy
6 .PUZZLES: Athilan is a crazy for puzzles. Here are few puzzles based on puzzles
a. Identification: Name the animal figurines and match them by arranging the four piece puzzles
b. Animal home- Two piece puzzles with which he learnt animals and their homes
c. A set of four piece puzzles to identify the animals, animal patterns and their foot prints
d. A set of wild animals puzzles with multiple pieces
7. BOOKS ON OUR SHELF :
a. 123 to the zoo by ERIC CARLE
b. K is for kissing a cool Kangaroo by Giles andreae
c. Little beauty by ANTHONY BROWNIE
d. Cave baby by JULIA DONALDSON
e. My Zoo by ROD CAMPBELL
f. I SPY with my little eye by EDWARD
g. Brown paper bear